"The Mountains are calling and I must go"- John Muir

"The Mountains are calling and I must go"- John Muir

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Taking Baby Steps

Tuesday April 21st, 2009



I am watching the loggers clear our land, and although I am very excited about this huge step towards building our house and planting our garden, I can't help but feel like a murderer for having them cut all those trees. I know most of them are dead and they need to be cut, but the tree hugger inside of me just wants to scream STOP !!!!

But I am trying to look at it from a positive side, and I remind myself that we will use the limps and brush for mulch, and we will be replanting trees, and a garden. But it is still very hard to see all those trees that have been there for so long, and worked so hard to be big beautiful trees being cut down and drug out and thrown onto a big mean truck.

Let me start from the begining. My husband of 9 months and I bought a acre of land next door to my mom and dad. We live in the beautiful mountains of Western North Carolina, in the neighborhood that my husband grew up in and where his grandparents and aunts and uncles also live. It all started out in the 1800's as a plantation that grew apples I think, among other things. It's mostly woods, except for the houses and yards where his family lives, about 7 houses in all, including my mom and dad. My parents came here 5 yrs ago, after the place where we lived flooded 4 times. My husbands aunt sold my parents 2 acres and my husband and I bought the acre next to it, which used to be all woods, but is almost cleared now. My dad is the pastor of a Methodist Church here, and we are surrounded by family and church members, so we are very blessed.

Now, back to our land clearing. My husband and bought house plans for a small but very cute cabin we will be building as soon as we can. We will have to have permits, septic, well, and pull up stumps and all the good stuff that goes along with it first. But that's all a part of it, you have to take the bad to get the good.

After we build our house, (which I can not wait for, because right now, I don't have a job, and we live in a 25 foot camper, which is very trying let me tell ya) we will be planting a huge garden, fruit trees, and I want to have lots of chickens, some angora rabbits, turkeys, and what ever else we have room for.

So, this gets to the point of my blog. I am 27 yrs old and learning a lot. I see the way the economy is going and it scares me! So my mom,dad, husband and I want to become self sufficent. I want to be able to live off the land, make my own clothes, home teach my children and not have to depend on the government, wal-mart, or anyone else for anything. We want to depend on ourselves and God for anything we may need, except for medicine, and any medical treatment we may need. But I am learning slowly which herbs do what and how to safely use them together so maybe one day we won't need to doctor's for everything. Where we live, the woods are full of natural herbs that people buy in the stores, so if I can learn what they are and do, then maybe one day I can take care of myself and my family.

I love feed back, so anyone who wants to e-mail me, or comment on my blogs feel free to. I will post everything as we go along, and anything I learn, I will share. I love learning new things. My mom and I found through trail and error, a great sourdough starter, so we will not have to buy bread again ever, unless we get tired of it, but I am learning to make other bread also. If any of you would like the recipe for the starter please let me know.

1 comment:

  1. I know this post is older, but I recently found your blog, and am reading it from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete


The enchanting Blue Ridge Mountains I call home.

Followers

About Me

My photo
I live in the mountains of Western North Carolina, in a little camper, with my husband and family. We are trying to become self sufficient and live off the land. I am sick of all the sad news on TV, the economy, and the evil world we live in, so we are trying to make things as simple as possible and get back to the basics. I think if everyone did that, and had faith in God the world might be a better place. Follow along, as we live life in our little tin can, and try to make it a home, while learning to homestead.