"The Mountains are calling and I must go"- John Muir

"The Mountains are calling and I must go"- John Muir

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

I am learning


Ok, so today I cut the grass, weed eated for the first time ever, and I planted potato's, bought onions, 2 heirloom tomato plants, and a whole bunch of seed packets, carrots, corn, cherry tomatoes, peppers, pumpkin, watermelon, cantaloupe, lettuce, greens, spring onions, cucumbers, and basil, and I plan to go back and get more.
I found the coolest plant nursery and seed n feed in one today, and the cutest little old couple owns and runs it. They were so sweet and helpful and have owned and run it for the last 25 yrs. They had every thing you could ever want!! I ran out of money ( that happens when you don't have a job and your husband has to give you money) or I would have been there all day and I probably would have bought them out!! My mom went with me and we were both so excited!!! And we both came out with a arm load of plants and seeds. And I also learned a few things today from a book I started reading called "Newspaper, Pennies, Cardboard, and Eggs for growing a better garden". Basil is a natural tomato horn worm repellent, and so are chives. If you plant these herbs with your tomato plants it will naturally keep bugs away. Pretty cool huh? I recommend this book to everyone with a garden.
Oh, and an update to the surge of a woman hear me roar empowerment from the other day. I could not fix the bathroom cabinet door, the screws were striped, but I did take an old shower curtain that matched the new shower curtain and made some adjustments, and me and my mom hot glued it around the under neath of the counter, so now there is a very chic little curtain in place of the door. I will post pictures in a few days. Well, I am off to learn more!

Bye ya'll

5 comments:

  1. I think your blog is awesome, it's exactly what a blog should be. Thoughts and ideas. You feel exactly like I do, too much corruption, evil in the world, poverty, cruelty to animals, and the only hope is GOD. Good for you on your new home and so nice to meet you. Take care and plant those seeds. :D Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your new empowered woman attitude! I know how tough it is to get my husband to do things around my home so I do mostly everything. Well and it does not help that he wrecks stuff when he gets involved sometimes...

    I love your shabby background and checked out where you got it! Nice find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you success on your gardening!!

    Many Blessings,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will definitely need chickens! Let me know when you head down that road as I love my girls and will give you all of the advice that I have gained through experience these past five years~
    Thanks for visiting my site so that I could in turn find yours!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey girlie!
    Looks like you'll be planting an acre garden with all of those seeds you bought! You'll be able to open your own little vegetable stand...
    Thanks for the wonderful tip on the basil/chives with the tomato plants...I didn't know that! I'm out the door to go try it!
    Glad you found me...I'm a new follower to you!!!!
    everything vintage

    ReplyDelete


The enchanting Blue Ridge Mountains I call home.

Followers

About Me

My photo
I live in the mountains of Western North Carolina, in a little camper, with my husband and family. We are trying to become self sufficient and live off the land. I am sick of all the sad news on TV, the economy, and the evil world we live in, so we are trying to make things as simple as possible and get back to the basics. I think if everyone did that, and had faith in God the world might be a better place. Follow along, as we live life in our little tin can, and try to make it a home, while learning to homestead.