"The Mountains are calling and I must go"- John Muir

"The Mountains are calling and I must go"- John Muir

Monday, May 25, 2009

Southern Funerals


Hey ya'll,
Well it's another Monday, and oh boy has it ever been a Monday! A very sweet man in our church passed away yesterday morning from a brain aneurysm, he was only 66 yrs old. He will be very missed, for he was one of the sweetest men I have ever met. He was in my wedding, he served food at our local rescue mission, he was on the board of trustees at our church, he and his sweet wife ran our local curb market, which is a very old farmers market here where we live, he also did many other things within our church, and community.
I was thinking today, when someone dies in our family or church community, we always gather together and bring them the same food every time. Fried chicken, cherry pies, rolls, tater salad, pasta salad, a big ole baked ham, and sweet tea. Now that has to be the most southern thing I have ever seen. And it did not occur to me, until we were bringing the food to the family at their home today. And we always say things like love your heart, bless your heart, and hug and squeeze them until their eyes bug out. But I am proud to be southern, I was am as southern as they some born and raised. I love the fact that we do that, and that I probably say bless it's heart 50 times a day.
I love the little old ladies at our church, God love em. When there is a funeral at our church, they all gather together like little hen's and prepare the best food you have ever tasted. And they make sure everything is just right for the family. Now sometimes when you get that many women together in one kitchen, at one time, it can get ugly, but I have learned to just laugh it off., and go with the flow, because one day, I will be just like them. I imagine I will be just like weazer off of Steel Magnolia's when I get to that age, and I will be darn proud of it!

3 comments:

  1. Love your post...I can really relate to what you are saying. I am from Texas and have been a member of the same church for 16 yrs. We are truly like family. We have some of the sweetest "Sisters" in the world and they are all very good cooks.So sorry for your loss. Sounds like he was a wonderful man. Earths loss,Heavens gain!

    Blessings,Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for your loss. When we're truly connected with our communities, we feel such events more deeply.
    (P.S. I love Steel Magnolias! )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I do love your blog...I live up here in the north and I love the southern life. How boring would it be if we were all the same. I also love the way you explained the church and how people gathered together to help a family in time of need. You should be proud, it's a good thing.

    What a sweet man, I wish there were more in this world like that. Be well and bless you heart :) I kind of like that.

    ReplyDelete


The enchanting Blue Ridge Mountains I call home.

Followers

About Me

My photo
I live in the mountains of Western North Carolina, in a little camper, with my husband and family. We are trying to become self sufficient and live off the land. I am sick of all the sad news on TV, the economy, and the evil world we live in, so we are trying to make things as simple as possible and get back to the basics. I think if everyone did that, and had faith in God the world might be a better place. Follow along, as we live life in our little tin can, and try to make it a home, while learning to homestead.