"The Mountains are calling and I must go"- John Muir

"The Mountains are calling and I must go"- John Muir

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Fall in the Appalachian mountains

Hey ya'll,

Oh I am so excited I could bust!! We have not had a good wholesome snow fall in a long time, because of droughts mostly, and we have rumors of snow flurries on Saturday!! Where I grew up in Madison County, NC we always had snow by Halloween, and now that we live at the bottom of a mountain instead of on top, we don't get the snow. I love snow! I don't know what it is about snow, I guess it is nostalgic, it reminds me of childhood ( I had the perfect childhood by the way). And I guess the image I have of snow is sleigh rides, snow cream, warm fuzzy things, and the days of old. It's just so much fun to go out, and hear the snow crunch under your feet, and smell it, yes it has a smell, and it is so peaceful and quiet. Now don't get me wrong, we have our fair share of bad weather, ice storms, trees falling, lots of bad wind and power outages, and I know some of you hate the snow, because some of you get way to much snow, I lived through a blizzard in the middle of no where, so I know snow isn't all that great sometimes, but I do love it!! I just hope living through it in a camper won't turn me off of it, I would hate that!


So in getting ready for fall, and our predicted bad winter to come, my mom and I have been canning diva's the past few weeks! We already put up the beans from my first garden, 5 bushels that is! Thank you Lord! Corn, pumpkin, okra, tomatoes, and all kinds of garden goodness!! But my favorite thing in the whole world to put up, and taste, and apples!!! We are so blessed to live in the middle of 5 apple orchards, and what they don't pick for the customers, we get to take home!! We have and will be picking and putting up apples for a few weeks to come! Apple butter, apple sauce, baked apples, they's stewed apples, I feel like bubba from forest gump!!
Some other things I love about fall, is picking out pumpkins!! And now that I am in my first year of marriage, and my hubby has an 8 yr old son, this is our first Halloween together, and we will be carving pumpkins, and taking him trick or treating!! I love the smell of pumpkin guts! And I know I am weird, but I also love to dig my hands into the pumpkin guts!!

There were so many things I wanted to share with you all, and now I can't remember them all. Oh well, that's the joy of a blog, I can always come back!! Peace and Love fellow bloggers!!






No comments:

Post a Comment


The enchanting Blue Ridge Mountains I call home.

Followers

About Me

My photo
I live in the mountains of Western North Carolina, in a little camper, with my husband and family. We are trying to become self sufficient and live off the land. I am sick of all the sad news on TV, the economy, and the evil world we live in, so we are trying to make things as simple as possible and get back to the basics. I think if everyone did that, and had faith in God the world might be a better place. Follow along, as we live life in our little tin can, and try to make it a home, while learning to homestead.