"The Mountains are calling and I must go"- John Muir

"The Mountains are calling and I must go"- John Muir

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Puppy love, and homemade dog treats

Hey ya'll,

This is a picture of the love of my life, well in the animal kingdom anyway! Her name is Lucy, she is a 5 yr old Shi-tzu.

She filled a void in our lives, when my shi-tzu, Zack, of 15 yrs passed away. I went a whole year without a pet, without something to take care of. Every time I looked at puppies at the pet store or the animal shelter, my heart would hurt for Zack. And I always felt as if I was hurting him in some way by replacing him. I know what you are thinking, you are thinking he is dead, what difference does it make? I told my self that over and over again, but I just could not bring my self to love another dog. But at the same time something was missing from my life, and I couldn't figure out what it was. Until one day, our neighbor called. She used to breed shi-tzus and one of the puppies she sold was in need of a new home, or she would have to go to the shelter. So we talked it over and said what would it hurt to go and look.
When we went to her house the next day, I told my self I was not getting attached to another dog, its just to hard when they are gone, like loosing a child. We went in the living room, and she brought out 4 yr old Lucy, named after Lucy on charlie brown. She immediately jumped in my lap and started licking my mom. When she told us about all of her habits, and likes and dislikes, we knew it was fate. She looked and acted exactly like our dog Zack. We put her on her leash and walked her home. From then on, it was puppy love!! She is the greatest!! And the weird part is, when we let her out some times she will go up the hill behind our house, to Zack's grave and sit for a minute, no lie! We had never taken her up there! It is as if she is saying I will take care of them, she was paying her respects. The first time she did that, we both broke down and cried. She was meant for us. Her home before ours must have been an abusive one. She is terrified of loud noises,yelling, and if you pick up a stick outside she cowers down. So we do a lot of snuggling. She hates thunder and rain, and we fix her an egg every morning, and if you forget she will let you know. She loves car rides, and when you come home she always has something in her mouth to give you, food, her toy, a sock. What can I say, we are in love!! We have had her for over a yr now and I couldn't imagine life with out her!
My mom and I both agree that we are going to do things differently. We are feeding her healthier food, walking her more, taking her as many places as we safely can. We made her some dog treats, so here is the recipe, so you can make the love of your life something homemade! Lucy loves them, so I hope your dog will also!
Apple cheddar dog treats:
2 cups Barley flour ( we used wheat)
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/3 cup shredded cheddar
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan
1/3 cup apple sauce ( sugar free)
2 T oil
Mix it will 3 T water, roll out to 1/4 inch, and cut into what ever shapes you like, place on parchment paper on a cookie sheet, and bake at 350 degrees for 30 min.

1 comment:

  1. cute puppy! I see that you follow my blog, thought I'd stop by and say hey! Leave me a comment next time you 'visit'.
    Patty H.

    ReplyDelete


The enchanting Blue Ridge Mountains I call home.

Followers

About Me

My photo
I live in the mountains of Western North Carolina, in a little camper, with my husband and family. We are trying to become self sufficient and live off the land. I am sick of all the sad news on TV, the economy, and the evil world we live in, so we are trying to make things as simple as possible and get back to the basics. I think if everyone did that, and had faith in God the world might be a better place. Follow along, as we live life in our little tin can, and try to make it a home, while learning to homestead.