"The Mountains are calling and I must go"- John Muir

"The Mountains are calling and I must go"- John Muir

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

What happened to.....

Hey ya'll,

I think a lot during the day, mostly about random things, like the way things used to be a long time ago, even when I was young. For instants, what happened to families sitting down to dinner at a table, together, and praying. When I was little we did that, I was not allowed to sit in front of the TV to eat, I had to eat all my food before I could get up, and I had to ask for permission. Sometimes my mom would make me set the table, to teach me the correct way. And we would pray, and pass the food around, and use manners. What happened to that?


What happened to families spending quality time together? We never watched TV, when we did, we only had one channel, so we would watch a movie. But, most of the time, we played games, read, sang songs out of the church hymnal, or my mom would help me with my homework. And during the summer, I would stay outside until it was pitch black, or until my mom made me come inside.


What happened to trains? When my mom was little, she said they went everywhere on a train. And that was in the 50's. I love trains, not Amtrak, the old locomotives. I wish we still had them around, to ride on. It's just not the same on a Amtrak train. I think they should bring them back. But that's just my humble opinion. I think they are so romantic, and nostalgic, and simple.


And why did they stop delivering milk to your home? I would love to see a milk man deliver milk to my door in glass jars, that get reused! And I couldn't find a picture of one, but even when I was little in the 80's we had gas pump attendants. They were at every gas station we went to. I hate pumping gas! They would pump your gas, check your oil, clean your wind shield, you didn't even have to get out. If they would bring all these things back, they would create do many jobs! Train engineers, milk men, gas attendants, we wouldn't have to recycle milk jugs if they were glass again, and one more thing while I am on this subject, why did they stop packing flour and corn meal in sacks instead of paper? I would pay a few more dollars if I could keep the sack for towels! Oh my, I could go on like this all day! So I better stop now!







5 comments:

  1. HI! (not new to the blog, visit all the time, but haven't commented before)
    But, I sure do know what you mean. We "TALK" about going 'green' on this planet of ours, and if people only realized, going BACK to some of the things we used to do WOULD be green...(shrug) people have become far to dependent on the conviences of today (or what they THINK are conviences)...it's a sad state of affairs. Like you, I could list tons of things!
    Keep bloggin! I'll keep reading!

    Sage

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!! I love comments, I wish I got more, it's nice to know that there is someone reading my blog!! Hope you have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mckee,
    I just absolutely love your blog! I agree with you 100% I'd love to have all these things again too! And you're right about the jobs too. Honestly if I didn't know you, just reading your blog, I'd think you were a lot older than you really are :) You have such a sweet spirit about you. Also if your sweet husband makes one of those spinning wheels I want to put my order in.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Day Dreamer 81, You have done a lovely job with your blog.

    I like ( especially) What Happened To...

    I also enjoy the music.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for the comments, I really love knowing ya'll read it and enjoy it!! God Bless! And Julie, I love you!!

    ReplyDelete


The enchanting Blue Ridge Mountains I call home.

Followers

About Me

My photo
I live in the mountains of Western North Carolina, in a little camper, with my husband and family. We are trying to become self sufficient and live off the land. I am sick of all the sad news on TV, the economy, and the evil world we live in, so we are trying to make things as simple as possible and get back to the basics. I think if everyone did that, and had faith in God the world might be a better place. Follow along, as we live life in our little tin can, and try to make it a home, while learning to homestead.