"The Mountains are calling and I must go"- John Muir

"The Mountains are calling and I must go"- John Muir

Friday, April 16, 2010

I need some advice about my Bantams...

Hey ya'll,

             I had such a wonderful productive day! My mom and I went to the two scrap yards in our town to see if we could find some boards for her raised bed, and I needed some screen for a paper making project I am starting. The first scrap yard we went to, we found two boards for her, some screen and the most wonderful, magical, nostolgic suprise I could ever imagine! Let me start from the beginning. When I was 7 yrs old, my mom bought me a radio flyer wooden sled, with the red blades on it, it was beautiful, she bought because we were getting ready to move to the mountains. Well, when we moved to Hendersonville 7 yrs ago, my sled along with some other childhood things were in our shed in the yard, and our property flooded, we are talking like 5-6 feet of water, that happened 4 more times, very scary times for us. Anyway, my sled was washed down the creek into the rocky broad river never to be seen again. It broke my heart to peices. Ever since then, we have been looking in scrap yards and antique stores for another sled. Well, today, my mama found one, in the corner with a bunch of junk, for $10!!!! All it needs is some work on the wood, and a little cleaning up!! As you can see, its in the picture above, in all it's nostolgic glory!! My mama is the best scavenger ever!!

      Well, on to other things. When we got home, I got the mail, and in it were the seeds I ordered! I ordered them less than a week ago, and I already have them!! Baker Creek heirloom seeds is the best seed company ever! They got here so fast, and they sent me a pack of heirloom beef steak tomato seeds for free with my order! I got 5 packs of greasy beans and 1 pack of ground cherries! For those of you who have never had  greasy beans, you are missing out on a treat! I think they are a Madison County thing, they are appalachian greasy beans. They are hard to get, you have to have connections to get any around here, so imagine my pure child like excitment when I found them in the baker creek catalog! I am very pleased with this company. Check them out at http://www.rareseeds.com/
  
Here are the over 200 wild onions my mama and I picked this afternoon, from the woods and our yard, I can't wait to eat these!!


                  
Ok, so onto the advice I need about my bantams. They are about 4 weeks old now. So far when I reach my hand into the brooder to pet them, or feed them or anything for that matter, they have been sweet. Until today, today they nipped my finger and tried to flog me and fly up my arm! What is going on? Are they naturally aggresive birds? They freak out when I reach my hand in, is that normal? I even tried to put my hand in and let them know that I am there so I want scare them, is there something I can do diffrent? I want them to like me, some people hold them and love them like dogs, Do I just have crazy birds?

Mckee

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I saw you following the farm, and wanted to welcome you and come say hi...

    we have never owned bantams, but I have heard, yes, they are aggressive...there is a great blogger with much advice on the chicken 'thing'...he is Don at: http://aviewfromthegreenbarn.blogspot.com/

    God bless!
    Anne Marie

    ReplyDelete


The enchanting Blue Ridge Mountains I call home.

Followers

About Me

My photo
I live in the mountains of Western North Carolina, in a little camper, with my husband and family. We are trying to become self sufficient and live off the land. I am sick of all the sad news on TV, the economy, and the evil world we live in, so we are trying to make things as simple as possible and get back to the basics. I think if everyone did that, and had faith in God the world might be a better place. Follow along, as we live life in our little tin can, and try to make it a home, while learning to homestead.