"The Mountains are calling and I must go"- John Muir

"The Mountains are calling and I must go"- John Muir

Friday, August 20, 2010

My hens

I am absolutely head over heels in love with my hens! I got rid of my last rooster, I decided I did not need one, especially if he was going to be mean to my hens. So its three hens now, two Rhode island reds and one black booted bantam. And they are so happy sweet and calm since I got rid of that over grown monster, and he is happier now too. And you know as soon as I got rid of that last rooster, my girls started laying everyday! I get at least one egg a day, for the past three days I have been getting 3, but I only got 2 today. But they are so good, and I am as excited as a man in tool store, a kid in a candy shop, a dog with a bone, well you get the point, I cant wait to get to that nest box everyday and find my treasure! And boy do I praise those girls, they get spoiled, and I give them treats, and tell them how pretty they are, and they just purr and coo and cluck, and they love grass!! They eat grass and clover like a speed addict, is that normal? I am just so fascinated by my hens, I just can not get enough of them!! Can anyone tell me how often one hen lays, normally? Just curious! Well, God bless all!!

2 comments:

  1. Your hens are beautiful, I really miss having chickens sometimes. I think if I do ever get more I only want hens, not roosters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hens will lay one egg about every 18 hours. If you have any questions join the group: Backyardchickens.com This is a great information site. I know what you mean about loving the girls. We are getting Buff Orphingtons. Like Lays chips, you can't have just one or two or three. LOL. Spoil your girls!

    ReplyDelete


The enchanting Blue Ridge Mountains I call home.

Followers

About Me

My photo
I live in the mountains of Western North Carolina, in a little camper, with my husband and family. We are trying to become self sufficient and live off the land. I am sick of all the sad news on TV, the economy, and the evil world we live in, so we are trying to make things as simple as possible and get back to the basics. I think if everyone did that, and had faith in God the world might be a better place. Follow along, as we live life in our little tin can, and try to make it a home, while learning to homestead.