"The Mountains are calling and I must go"- John Muir

"The Mountains are calling and I must go"- John Muir

Monday, December 27, 2010

Magical Christmas


Hey ya'll,

        Well late Merry Christmas! Its been crazy around here. Christmas day, I went out to the chicken coop about 7 am to give my girls some warm water, because it was frozen as usual. I let them out, and as you can see above on my reds beak they apparently like to eat snow. As I was talking to them, I felt something on my face and looked up, and it was starting to snow, and standing there as the light of the day was starting to show, and the flakes were starting fall, and my chickens were pecking and talking to me, I felt the spirit of Christmas, I felt very calm and serene. And then it started pouring and I lost that calm feeling because we still had to go get my step son for the weekend!! It poured for three days and we ended up with what we have now which is 12 in. or more. Now, last yr we had 12 in. about this time and it didn't melt until April!! it just kept adding on!! And thats not a problem, but we live in what is supposed to be a mild winter climate in WNC and they said we would not have another winter like that, but here we go again!! Dont get me wrong, I love snow, but I dont love cabin fever! And i dont love the 50 mph winds that come with it! But it is very calming when the wind isnt blowing, to walk in the snow at night, when its quiet, and all you can hear is the crunching of the snow under your boots. And during the day when the sun shines and hits the snow and it looks like glitter on everything, very pretty!
   I hope you all had a very blessed Christmas! My hubby made me a dulcimer, I will post a picture later! Goodnight all!!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you're over the chicken pox. How's your husband doing?
    Merry Christmas and a peaceful, prosperous, Happy New Year to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The snow is nice at first. After a couple days of walking through it to get the animals ged and watered it gets old. Luckily the warmth came in and most of what is here has melted. Hopefully it will be finished off the next couple days. Now here comes the rain that will leave a mass of MUD.

    ~~Matt~~

    ReplyDelete


The enchanting Blue Ridge Mountains I call home.

Followers

About Me

My photo
I live in the mountains of Western North Carolina, in a little camper, with my husband and family. We are trying to become self sufficient and live off the land. I am sick of all the sad news on TV, the economy, and the evil world we live in, so we are trying to make things as simple as possible and get back to the basics. I think if everyone did that, and had faith in God the world might be a better place. Follow along, as we live life in our little tin can, and try to make it a home, while learning to homestead.