"The Mountains are calling and I must go"- John Muir

"The Mountains are calling and I must go"- John Muir

Monday, January 31, 2011

Moonshine and Bluegrass 180 Proof



Marvin "popcorn" Sutton lived in east TN not far from where I grew up. I never met him, but I wish I had. He was the last great moonshiner of our time. I really hate the way they did him, it just wasn't right. If you don't know about him, you should look it up, his story is everywhere, he was a true example of what Appalachian was and is.

2 comments:

  1. My Mom's parents had known Popcorn. They too were arrested in the 70s and again in the 80s for shine. Mom says she met him a couple times while growing up around Roan Mountain, TN.

    ~~Matt~~

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! I bet your grand-parents are great people! I know they have some neat stories to tell!! My great grandpa ran moonshine in GA and almost got caught one time, but he bailed his car while it was still moving. I love to hear stories about moonshiners, especially about people from around these mountains.

    ReplyDelete


The enchanting Blue Ridge Mountains I call home.

Followers

About Me

My photo
I live in the mountains of Western North Carolina, in a little camper, with my husband and family. We are trying to become self sufficient and live off the land. I am sick of all the sad news on TV, the economy, and the evil world we live in, so we are trying to make things as simple as possible and get back to the basics. I think if everyone did that, and had faith in God the world might be a better place. Follow along, as we live life in our little tin can, and try to make it a home, while learning to homestead.