"The Mountains are calling and I must go"- John Muir

"The Mountains are calling and I must go"- John Muir

Friday, February 4, 2011

I am one happy girl...


Hey y'all,

   I am one happy girl right now, not because something grand happened, and not because money fell in my lap, none of that has happened. I am happy simply because as I type this, I can smell cornbread in a iron skillet greased with bacon I cooked in it,  in the oven, and homemade split pea soup on the stove, I am listening to my old time bluegrass station on Pandora, reading a book called "Cades Cove, a southern Appalachian community"  and looking at my Great Smokey Mountains trail map, and trying to find all the places I have read about in this book! All that combined, with a rainy foggy day here in the mountains (which I think makes the mountains so beautiful, I can feel the spirit of the mountains around me on days like this) is making this the perfect day to me!!  If you Love Cades Cove as much as I do, I highly recommend this book! You will learn so much you never knew! Here is one of many of my favorite things out of it, this was said by Mr. John McCaulley:

   " We looked after one another. If there was sickness in a family and a crop needed working, we'd all hear about it at church on Sunday.
  The next morning, on Monday morning, there'd be as many as 50 neighbors in that field and around that house doing up everything that had to be done.
   If somebody died, everybody left his own work and turned his attention to the dead person's family. There wouldn't be a single person working in those fields in the Cades Cove bottoms until the funeral was over. 
  If a widow was left, she and her children were cared for. Everybody saw to it that they didn't want for a thing. 
   The older folks were taken care of too, when they couldn't work no more. Nobody went to the poorhouse."  
 The author Durwood Dunn, goes on to say that the community also always got together and raised barns, built houses, plowed fields and anything that someone needed help with. I wish it was still that way, if it was people would be happier, and get along so much better. This book also talks about how the National park service ran the people of Cades Cove out, during the great depression, and tore down the houses that were not primitive enough for their grand vision. The people of Cades Cove were lied to, and treated very badly! You should really read this book, I really did learn a lot! And if you want to help with the houses still standing go to: cadescovepreservationtn.homestead.com they tell a lot more stories and have more pictures there, and tells you about a museum that has a lot of artifacts from the homes in the cove, and you can also become a member. Oh my gosh! Hiking, mountains, bluegrass and cornbread makes me so happy!!! Oh, by the way, the pics above are of a cabin in the cove, and me sitting in the doorway of the Elijah Oliver Home place. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh how I love your life, and this book is one that I wouldn't mind reading! This is the way all should live, instead of what is seen in the world today! Luv-Loretta

    ReplyDelete


The enchanting Blue Ridge Mountains I call home.

Followers

About Me

My photo
I live in the mountains of Western North Carolina, in a little camper, with my husband and family. We are trying to become self sufficient and live off the land. I am sick of all the sad news on TV, the economy, and the evil world we live in, so we are trying to make things as simple as possible and get back to the basics. I think if everyone did that, and had faith in God the world might be a better place. Follow along, as we live life in our little tin can, and try to make it a home, while learning to homestead.