"The Mountains are calling and I must go"- John Muir

"The Mountains are calling and I must go"- John Muir

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

water cress

Hey y'all,

    Well it has been a long time since I posted anything, I guess cause there's not much going on here, it's been to dog  gone cold to get anything done!! But I did want to share a bit of interesting info with ya. My mama bought a big bunch of water cress, which is a lot like arugula, we eat it in salads, bu it is a bit spicier than arugula, anyway, she bought a bunch of it at our local grocery store with the roots still on it, around here they call it living greens. Well, just as an experiment she planted the roots in a pot outside and watered them, after we ate the greens off it, and about 3 weeks later she had a whole new bunch of water cress!! We ate that, and it has grown full 2 more times, and its still growing! And not only is it good, but its also very pretty! So I am gonna go get some of my fave lettuce they have at our grocery store, its called boston bibb, and see if I can't grow it a few times! We normally grow our own lettuce and greens, but the living lettuce at our store is from around here so I figure it can't  hurt! Have a blessed week y'all!

5 comments:

  1. What a clever idea. I'm going to try this when I purchase my next bunch. We'd love to see some more pics of your area. The mountains are so beautiful. Thanks for sharing them. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let us know how that turns out. Glad you are posting. Missed ya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those greens look mighty good. What a great idea... Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just thought I'd pop back over and tell you that I live in the southern mountains of western N.C.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments girls!! You know I love my comments! It's nice to know I was missed Kelly, thank you! Susie, what part of the mountains do you live in? I live in the Hendersonville area. Loretta I will be sure to post some more pics, I have lots of them! God bless y'all!

    ReplyDelete


The enchanting Blue Ridge Mountains I call home.

Followers

About Me

My photo
I live in the mountains of Western North Carolina, in a little camper, with my husband and family. We are trying to become self sufficient and live off the land. I am sick of all the sad news on TV, the economy, and the evil world we live in, so we are trying to make things as simple as possible and get back to the basics. I think if everyone did that, and had faith in God the world might be a better place. Follow along, as we live life in our little tin can, and try to make it a home, while learning to homestead.