"The Mountains are calling and I must go"- John Muir

"The Mountains are calling and I must go"- John Muir

Friday, August 5, 2011

Turkeys!!





Hey y'all!

   Oh my goodness I have so much to catch up on! Its been a very busy time around here!  In the pictures above are wild turkeys that hung out in our yard for about a month, and I just feel in love!! It was a mama, daddy, and 9-10 babies, they were hard to count!  We fed and kept watch over them with great joy. But I am sad to say that all of a sudden they were gone, and we feared coyotes or hawks had gotten them, but then we saw just the daddy. It was almost like he was asking for help, he came and laid down in our yard and stayed all day, and I noticed he had a hurt foot, and I tired my best to get to him, and help him but I failed. He was all alone, and seemed worried or anxious. He went into the woods and that was the last we saw of any of them, I cried for days wondering if they were all dead, it was very sad, I am getting teary eyed just thinking about it. It makes my heart hurt, because they were so sweet, and they were such good parents. But I guess if you live in the mountains, in the woods, you have to see things like that. I pray that they just moved on and that they are alive and well.

    On a happier note, I grew black eyed peas for the first time this summer and I am happy to say they grew like crazy! And my greasy beans did very well this year too! For those of you that do not know about greasy beans, they are a delicacy here in the Appalachian mountains. In Madison county where I grew up, greasy beans were right along side ramps, people came from miles around to buy them and sometimes they would pay $20 or more for half a bushel! Crazy huh? Oh but they are so good, if you have never tried them, you have to do that, cook them with some bacon or fat back, mmmmmm good!! So on that note, I guess I better get to canning! I have lots more to share later! Oh! I was featured on a blog, www.southernasbiscuits.com and I am so happy! 8 of my items on etsy were also featured in treasuries! Just thought I was brag a little even though thats a major sin in my book, but I am just tickled pink!! Well God Bless you all!!

2 comments:

  1. So glad I found your wonderful blog! I love all things about Appalachia. I'm a Florida (NW panhandle) gal, but my heart truly yearns for the mountains. I think the stork dropped me in the wrong part of the country!!!! I'm also your newest follower. Come visit my blog when you get a chance. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you , I love comments! I will go check out your blog, thanks for following me!

    ReplyDelete


The enchanting Blue Ridge Mountains I call home.

Followers

About Me

My photo
I live in the mountains of Western North Carolina, in a little camper, with my husband and family. We are trying to become self sufficient and live off the land. I am sick of all the sad news on TV, the economy, and the evil world we live in, so we are trying to make things as simple as possible and get back to the basics. I think if everyone did that, and had faith in God the world might be a better place. Follow along, as we live life in our little tin can, and try to make it a home, while learning to homestead.