"The Mountains are calling and I must go"- John Muir

"The Mountains are calling and I must go"- John Muir

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Coffee Grounds

Hey y'all,
I have recently discovered many uses for brewed coffee grounds. I used to just throw them out in the trash, but I now save them if I can. 
I used them today for instance, to wash my hands. I know that sounds gross, but I had just cut up onion and garlic, and I hate for my hands to smell like onions, because it takes days to go away. I read a few yrs ago that coffee will take out odors, so I tried washing my hands in it, and voila! the onion smell was gone, and not only did it take the onion odor off my hands, it exfoliated, and made my skin sooo soft! So, the next time you have an odor on your hands, like onion, garlic, fish, what ever it may be, get a big hand full of coffee grounds from your coffee pot ( they have to be brewed first) and wash your hands with it like you would soap.

The next use brewed coffee grounds have, is taking some of the acid out of stews and soups. My mama always puts a teaspoon of coffee grounds in her soups, stews, or anything that might have a lot of tomato acid in it. She only does it though, if it is going to cook for a while, I wouldn't recomend it for raw or cold tomatoes.

And last but not least, I read last summer that brewed coffee grounds are great for your garden. During my quest to make the perfect compost, I did a little digging :o) and found out that coffee grounds have the nitrate that plants need so badly. So I now take the mornings coffee grounds and sprinkle them around my plants before I water them. I started doing it last summer and it actually helped. 
So, I just thought I would share this with you, go try them out! 
Oh, and before I go, do any of chicken owners out there, know of a good, sure fire way to get chicken bullies to stop pickin on the little guys? I have two rhode island reds that pick on my sweet little banty unmercifully! And we have both had just about enough of it!
God Bless!! 

1 comment:

  1. Coffee grounds are great in compost; throw your eggs shells in your compost too. I had to seperate my big chickens from my bantys when I had them years ago. They always seem to pick on a timid bird or those that are smaller than themselves. I love those little bantys, they don't know they're little!

    ReplyDelete


The enchanting Blue Ridge Mountains I call home.

Followers

About Me

My photo
I live in the mountains of Western North Carolina, in a little camper, with my husband and family. We are trying to become self sufficient and live off the land. I am sick of all the sad news on TV, the economy, and the evil world we live in, so we are trying to make things as simple as possible and get back to the basics. I think if everyone did that, and had faith in God the world might be a better place. Follow along, as we live life in our little tin can, and try to make it a home, while learning to homestead.