"The Mountains are calling and I must go"- John Muir

"The Mountains are calling and I must go"- John Muir

Monday, October 10, 2011

Lettuce recall and a trip to Cataloochee Valley




Hey Y'all!

       Husband and I spent the day Saturday in Cataloochee Valley, NC in the Great Smokey Mountains National Park. Elk were reintroduced there in in 2002, and they have grown in great number since. The valley also has several old homesteads, one church, and a school, which I found very fascinating. The three pictures above have the sweetest story to go along with them. We had spent the day, and we were trying to work our way out of the valley, but we were stuck in traffic because Cataloochee Valley is not a loop like Cades Cove, it is a two way dead end drive. So there were a bunch of people trying to get in and a bunch trying to get out, including about 15 people on horses scattered in between cars. While we were waiting for someone to give or find a way out, we saw about 20 elk in a field, so I got out with my handy dandy camera, and sat in the field to take pictures. In one field were all the elk, and across the road in another field was a bull (male elk) and a baby that looked very scared and jumpy. In the field I was sitting in were a bunch of cows (female elk) and their babies. One of the cows started getting really close to me and making a noise that sounded almost like a hurt rabbit. She started getting very frantic and was running around like she was looking for something. Then it dawned on me, that was her baby across the road, trying to get around the cars. Finally everyone driving realized what was going on and stopped to let the sweet baby cross the road, and when he did he ran very awkwardly like bambi on ice and went straight to his mama, it was quite the tear jerker! So I started snapping pictures as they met and the baby started nursing like he was starving! It was so sweet! When the baby was done, the mama started walking away and he followed with his tongue out. In one picture above, the mama reached her head down and the baby reaches his head up and they exchange sugars, which was one of the sweetest things I have ever had the pleasure of witnessing, you could really see the love in their eyes, makes me cry just typing it! If you have never been, I really recommend it. September thru November is the best time to go, really early in the morning or about 5 or 6 pm. I took 495 pictures, so that's why I only uploaded three!

 Now, onto the lettuce recall. I found a way around that, of course growing your own, but if you don't have the time, the room or you can not find seeds, see if your grocery store has living lettuce. Our store carries it from a local farm. The farmers dig the whole lettuce head up, and put roots and all in a plastic container, so it's still living when you buy it from the store. After you pick all the leaves off of it, plant it with the roots in a container, a pot, or  you could even put holes in the container it comes in and use that. It will grow more leaves, at least 2 or 3 more times. We did that with some living water cress we bought from the store and it kept producing water cress for about a month or two.
  Well, that's it for now,  I hope y'all have a blessed week!

1 comment:

  1. Cataloochee is such a beautiful place! I got to see lots of elk up close when I was there in March. They're such beautiful animals.

    ReplyDelete


The enchanting Blue Ridge Mountains I call home.

Followers

About Me

My photo
I live in the mountains of Western North Carolina, in a little camper, with my husband and family. We are trying to become self sufficient and live off the land. I am sick of all the sad news on TV, the economy, and the evil world we live in, so we are trying to make things as simple as possible and get back to the basics. I think if everyone did that, and had faith in God the world might be a better place. Follow along, as we live life in our little tin can, and try to make it a home, while learning to homestead.