"The Mountains are calling and I must go"- John Muir

"The Mountains are calling and I must go"- John Muir

Thursday, May 17, 2012

They have taken over!!!

Hey y'all,

     Ugh! The ants are driving me crazy! We have had ants in our humble little camper for about 2 months now, and we have tried everything to no avail! They fall on our heads when we are brushing our teeth!  I think the little stinkers just spit the poison out and laugh! I probably sweep up about 50 a day, no lie, it's crazy! We did finally find where they are coming in, and I don't quite understand it, but they are going up and in the main outlet to our camper, and they come out in the light bulb over the bathroom sink, explain that one to me, cause I don't know! And no ant killer known to man works, so, my mama and I found a recipe online for natural spider repellent, and I thought, heck why not, what could it  hurt right? So we made some, it's pure orange oil, peppermint castile soap, and vinegar. We put it in a spray bottle and I sprayed, well ok, drenched the inside of the camper with it, and it worked for about 2 days, so every 2 days now I am spraying that stuff, which smells really great by the way, and if I don't forget to do it, we are almost ant free for a couple days, we see maybe 3 ants. BUT, if I forget, whoa nelly!! They come back with a vengeance!! And, since I started using it, no spiders, and our little mouse, you know, the one that plays the drums under our bed at night, well he hates it, I have not heard him in 3 nights!!!! So, I call it my miracle worker, and the best part is, it's all natural!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the recipe too - sorry to hear about the ants - that's crazy they are coming up through the sink too! Hope they go away! Have a blessed weekend ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe! I found that sprinkling cinnamon powder around and on top of their hive will make them disappear too. We had a problem with carpenter ants on the top cover of one of our bee hives, I sprinkled some there and around the hive and the ants left! The cinnamon powder is non toxic, all natural and doesn't harm the bees!

    ReplyDelete


The enchanting Blue Ridge Mountains I call home.

Followers

About Me

My photo
I live in the mountains of Western North Carolina, in a little camper, with my husband and family. We are trying to become self sufficient and live off the land. I am sick of all the sad news on TV, the economy, and the evil world we live in, so we are trying to make things as simple as possible and get back to the basics. I think if everyone did that, and had faith in God the world might be a better place. Follow along, as we live life in our little tin can, and try to make it a home, while learning to homestead.